Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Mid-Week Music #17 - The Last Halloween



Today's MWM has to do with two things: Halloween, and Milo Murphy's Law. The second one is a cartoon show rather in the vein (and universe) of Phineas and Ferb, and made by the same people. The show is about a boy named Milo Murphy, who has some of the strangest luck I've ever heard tell of. Basically, it's the idea of "Whatever can go wrong will go wrong" come to life: bad and absurdly weird things happen to him and his friends every day, and a cyclone of calamity follows him wherever he goes. However, his constant optimism and crazy preparedness somehow always manage to bring him good luck and allow him to escape serious harm. So he either has the worst luck in history or the best luck in history. It's honestly almost a superpower.

I must admit, this show has grown to be a bit of a favorite in our household, especially of mine. Part of the reason for this is the time-travelling twosome, Cavendish and Dakota. They're from the future, you see, and they're in the 21st century because... well, the reason changes over the course of the show, but it always has to do with pistachios. They're very funny, and an important part of the show, as well as two of my favorite characters overall. This week's MWM has to do with them in particular.

The song is from the Halloween special, Milo Murphy's Halloween Scream-a-Torium. Yeah, odd name, I know, but it's an odd show in general. And the song itself is... well, pretty much absolutely ridiculous. Very Phineas-and-Ferb-ish. But what can I say? After a few times, it's grown on me. That's probably why it's the first song on my Halloween Playlist. Besides, it's Cavendish and Dakota, whaddya gonna do?

Anyway, in the episode, it turns out that there is no Halloween in Cavendish and Dakota's time. And they're in the 21st century on the last Halloween in history. (What comes of that plot point is both hilarious and awesome). They do some sort of research to figure out how the thing works. And... how shall I put this?... they get it wrong. Well, they got the costumes part right--Dakota's costume is pretty clever!--but they get everything else completely mixed up. The following scene occurs...

Welcome, my friends, to The Last Halloween!



***

I think I understand, I think I get the knack
It's just a way to get free candy--what a racket!
We are gonna score tonight, it's gonna be a phenomenon!

Halloween is just the best! Too bad it's the last one
We need to stop at every house--oh wait, we just passed one
We got to make the most of this while it's still going on

We're going door to door, just asking for candy
On any other night, it would be panhandling
I think you know what I mean
It's the last Halloween

Look at this candy--look at this loot!
We should avoid that house, I hear they're giving fresh fruit
But right next door, they've got full-sized candy bars

Oh, hey, I got an idea--it's a little bit shady
But if we change costumes, that same old lady's
Gonna give us more candy, cause she won't know who we are

Wear a costume that's simple, or really elaborate
Using papier-mache, or just cheap fabric
You can be a ghost, and I can be a Fronk-en-shteen

We're going door to door, just asking for candy
On any other night, this would be panhandling
But live it up folks, cause tonight's the last Halloween
Yeah, live it up, folks
Cause tonight's the last Halloween!


No comments:

Post a Comment