Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Mid-Week Music #20 - Cinnamon Bear



This week's MWM is the first Christmas song. Well, not an official Christmas song, but it's always played around Christmastime. It is the theme song of a Christmas radio show. And of course, Advent is soon to begin. So I decided to put it up. Also, because I couldn't find a version of the song just on its own, I decided to post the first entire episode (which isn't very long--just eleven minutes). But if you want just the song, it starts at about 6:48.

So, time for me to tell you a little about The Cinnamon Bear. It first aired in 1937, between Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's about a pair of twins--Judy and Jimmy--who go on a magical adventure to get back their Silver Star from the Crazy-Quilt Dragon. Cinnamon Bear is their most constant companion, and their guide through Maybeland. They go on adventure after adventure, and encounter all kinds of danger and excitement along the way. It's very whimsical, I'd say, and quite fun too!

We started listening to it at our house recently, and my younger brothers and sisters (especially the latter) could not stop talking about it all the way to the restaurant Sunday afternoon. Even my youngest sister (about three, I guess) keeps asking and asking to do "another Cin'mon Bear". It's definitely a classic. Now, since the Silver Star is the one for the top of the twins' Christmas Tree, as well as the object of their quest, I figured it'd be a perfect way to kick off the holidays. Let me know what you thought of the episode (if you listened to it), or if you're already a listener of the old radio show, in the comments below.

And here's the Cinnamon Bear!




I'm the Cinnamon Bear, with the shoe-button eyes
And I'm looking for someone to take by surprise
I go growling and prowling each night after dark
But they all say my growl's just a cinnamon bark

Though I growl--Grr-ahh!
And I growl--Grr-ooh!
My victims only say
"Oh, who's afraid of you?"

I'm the Cinnamon Bear, with the shoe-button eyes
And I'm happy and fluffy and tough forrr my size
I devour lots of honey and cinnamon buns
Just to make me ferrrocious, but nobody runs

Now I'll growl--Grr-ahh!
And I'll growl--Grr-ooh!
And if you'll act afraid
I'm much obliged to you!


No comments:

Post a Comment