Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Mid-Week Music #4 - The Dragon (MC)



Today, I am going to be giving you one of two different songs with the same name. This is the one by Michael Card, a rather talented Christian musician, if you didn't know. The song is called, The Dragon.

(My apologies that the video does not have any dragons in it. I will give you some pictures.)




A vile, enormous Dragon
With heads and horns and crowns
And a tail that swept the stars from heaven
And cruelly cast them down

He lurked before the Woman
About to bear her Son
The One Who'll rule the nations
With a rod of iron

(chorus)
And now has come our salvation
The Pow'r and the Kingdom of God
For the Dragon is defeated
By the Word and the Blood of the Lamb

Behold, a war in Heaven
Reflected here on Earth
And Michael and his angels
Fought for all their worth

That wicked, ancient serpent
Who leads the world astray
The Accuser of the brethren
Was beaten from the fray

(chorus)

By the Word and the Blood of the Lamb

Rejoice then, O ye heavens!
But woe to the earth and the sea
For he is filled, filled with fury
He knows his time is brief
Cause he knows his time is brief

(chorus)
And now has come our salvation
The Pow'r and the Kingdom of God
           *           *           *
For the Dragon is defeated
By the Word and the Blood of the Lamb
By the Word and the Blood of the Lamb


The reason I chose this song in particular is rather interesting, I believe. When I woke up today, I was thinking about dragons. I was thinking about dragons because of an event that happens around this time every year (well, since last year). This was my first time learning about it. It's called the Silmaril Awards.




I first found out about them on a blog called Scattered Scribblings. Basically, the Silmaril Awards are... like the Oscars for Fantasy. At least, that's what the creators of the thing said. There are Silmarils for many kinds of Fantasy Characters, from Wisest Councilor to Most Nefarious Villain, and everything in between. And here's the catch: characters out of Tolkien are not up for nomination. They're the ones that present the awards, you see.


And here's one of our presenters now. He doesn't seem too happy about the winner.


You may easily guess that today was the day that they gave out the award for dragons. And you'd be right. If you'd like to see how well that went, I'll give you a lift. The writer of that post sure would appreciate your popping over to see it.




So this morning I was thinking about dragons. It's as simple as that. And it rather reminds me of, of...


Of "Rushings-out, and Rescuings, 
And Savings from the Dragon's Lair,
And fighting all the Dragons there.
And sometimes when our fights begin, 
I think I'll let the Dragons win... 
And then I think perhaps I won't, 
Because they're Dragons, and I don't."


1 comment:

  1. I've been enjoying the Silmarillion awards as well!
    (Ah, I see and understand that reference)

    ReplyDelete