Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Workings of a Wordsmith: Scene One



Today, I thought I'd give you a glimpse into some of the things I'm writing. If you weren't aware, I plan on being a professional wordsmith--thus the page entitled "Writing Projects". Unfortunately, I forgot to put anything on there when I posted it. Oops. But I promise I'll get to that soon. For the moment, here's part of what should be there.

Right now, I'm working on two things: a novel and a novella. Neither, at the moment, has any official title. (Typical me, very typical.) The novel is the first in a series, which is called Hanesion House. I haven't been working on it as much lately, however. That's due to my working on the novella.

This novella is for a writing contest called "Five Poisoned Apples", for Snow White retellings. At first, I had no ideas, though I wanted very much to enter. Then I was swamped with ideas, and wasn't sure which one to do first! But finally, I've gotten it down to two. The one I'm working on now is the one I'm definitely going to enter in the contest.

I began the project on the first of the month, and finished it... I can't remember when exactly, but I think it was about two weeks later. Maybe even less. I don't know, but that was the fastest I've ever finished any writing project in my life. I'm in the editing stages now. And I'm planning to send it to Rooglewood Press (the publishing company) sometime in the first week of September.

This retelling is a science-fiction story, hopefully in the vein of something good. Perhaps Space Opera*, perhaps something else. In any case, this is a story that excites me very much. Brave heroes, beleaguered princesses--mystery, suspense, some bits of action here and romance there. Hopefully though, the story itself will do a better job of getting your interest than that brief... would it even be called an overview?

Anyhow, I would appreciate it if you were to give your thoughts on my workings. Now, if you don't mind, I'll set forth a scene for you--the very first one--and you can see what you think. I may or may not be posting the rest of the story here on my blog, so enjoy the cliffs while you can: you may be hanging onto the side of one soon.

Apologies: there are still one or two unfinished parts lurking about. I've put them in bold text so you can see them better. Sorry!

*Star Wars is an example of Space Opera, if any of you are uncertain of the term.


     "Starlog 27.3, or, uh, like us Earthlings say it, August 1, 2317, on a Tuesday. My twenty-seventh adventure." Carter Prince sighed and rubbed his hands together. "It's odd how I've been counting time by how many adventures I've had. It feels like it's been forever since I've been home.
     "Speaking of which, how are things back in Virginia? You still in charge of the American Alliance, Dad? I'll bet Mom's still trying to convince you to [do something]. Oh, and let Luke know I said happy birthday! You've gotta transmit the images soon." He sighed. "I really miss you guys. All this adventuring is exciting beyond belief, and I do a lot of good. A lot of good. But... it's pretty lonesome out here."
     He paused. Then, grinning, he got up out of his chair. "Say, you haven't forgotten me, have you? Carter Prince--adventurer, protector of the innocent, and the first Intergalactic Knight?" He chuckled. "Remember that, Dad? You gave me that idea, back when I was younger than Luke. Now, I'm doing it for real, sword and all. I--" He was interrupted by a white flash outside the window, directly at the front of his ship.
     "Whoa! What the heck was--okay, you know what? I'll get back to you. Love you." Carter turned off his recorder and started pushing buttons. "Computer, damage report."
     "No damage sustained."
     "Then what was--" Before he could continue, he noticed a sound like heavy breathing nearby. He listened for a while, trying to discern the source. Then the voice, half-whispering and shaky, spoke. It was the voice of a young woman.
     "I don't know if there's anybody out there, listening. But I--I can't bear it anymore, I can't!"
     "Are you all right?" Carter asked.
     "I can't stand having no one to talk to, and I... have to tell someone about all this, even if I can't hear them." Carter then realized what was going on: this lady, whoever she was, had recorded and sent out this message. He listened intently. "The Droids that watch me just say it's only silly dreams and fears, over and over. They never listen. No one does."
     She sighed shakily. "I've had... every night, I have these dreams. And every time, it's the same one. Or almost. They start out... that's one of the strange things, because they don't start out the way they end. I walk in a forest, a beautiful forest. Almost unlike anything I'd seen before. It looked almost..." she paused, considering her words, "...it seems magical. I don't even know what the word means, but it sounds--well, somehow right. I walk through it, in beautiful clothes, and I hold an...an apple. A very red apple, shining in light. Like a jewel, almost."
     The voice paused, and Carter could hear her breathing, which was getting more rapid and shaky by the second. "Then, as I stare at it, it gets larger as if it's coming up toward my face. And then it... the apple disappears like fire, and everything flashes into darkness. I'm... down and down, I fall. I feel as though it will never end. Then--" She cried out, and Carter jumped toward the sound, and his hand to the sword at his side, only to remember with frustration that he couldn't do anything.
     "I jerk to a stop, and I feel as if I'm dangling on a string in the middle of the darkness. I blink, and I'm... suddenly, I find myself in a beautiful case. Of glass, and gold. There are flowers around me, but they are all dead. This place... yes, it is beautiful, but it's a tomb. I will be trapped forever... I must get out, I must! I struggle to get out, but I can't... move. Not at all.
     "Then I look out of the glass case, and there is... someone is out there, outside the case. Or something is there. I feel its eyes on me, staring at me, and I squirm, trying to escape. But I can't even blink or look away. Then it... I hear it laughing at me, laughing wild and cruel, and then there are eyes of fire, and I--I can't--ahh!" She screamed. Carter could not help but slam his fist on the dashboard.
     "No! I will not let--"
     "Then I... wake up, alone in the dark, in utter silence." The voice let out a little sob. "No one is there to help me. The only thing I ever see when I wake up is the stars, hovering in the darkness. But even those aren't there all the time. The Droids don't understand, they say it's an irrational fear. They don't do a thing. It doesn't help.
     "And then, there's... when I'm awake, there's something from my dream. I..."  She said something more, but it could not be heard: the message was fading in and out. "I can't ... much longer ... "
     "No! Computer, trace the message, quickly!"
     "Please, if there's ... if anybody is out ... really out there ... help me ... only hope ... please, help me!" The voice fell silent. Carter stared at the dashboard, open-mouthed.
     "Trace successful."
     He sighed and blinked slowly. "Show me."
     "Showing coordinates. Orders?"
     Carter stood silently for a few moments. "Computer, set a course for..." He looked closer at the information. "Set a course for the Septimon System."
     "Affirmative, sir." Carter straightened and put his hands behind his back.
     "Don't worry, my lady," he murmured. "I'm on my way."

***

Well, how's that for an introduction? Now y'all have met Carter Prince, and have embarked on a quest to help this mysterious girl. Do you plan to follow him all the way through? If so, please let me know! What are your thoughts on the first scene?

Also, I have a sort of idea for the title. However, I'm not sure about it. It seems it might work. Any suggestions on that wise would be greatly appreciated, as well!

My idea:
Princess of the Seventh Star

Please leave all your thoughts about my story in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment