Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Mid-Week Music #23 - What Child Is This?



As Christmas has drawn nearer, I've done a lot of different MWMs, with a lot of different Christmas songs. That is, if three weeks of it constitutes a lot. Cinnamon Bear, Do They Know What Christmas Is, Father Christmas: every one of them Christmas songs. This week, I'd like to do a real Christmas carol.

Let me explain the difference: people don't write Christmas carols anymore. They write Christmas songs, about how wonderful this time of the year is, how much they love their family, and how their love life is going at this time of year. Some of them are good songs, and some of them are not. But none of them are Christmas carols, because Christmas carols are almost all hymns. Hymns that tell of angels singing praise to God, of tidings of comfort and joy, of the joy that Jesus brought to the world.

There may be one (perhaps two or three) exceptions, but these in any case are still merry old songs of days past. You can usually tell them apart from the more modern things. And no, I don't consider Little Drummer Boy and Do You Hear What I Hear to be Christmas carols. They're still Christmas songs. And I thought it was high time for me to post a Mid-Week Music about a Christmas carol.

I chose this one because of a certain person, whose first Christmas this is. Of course, I mean my baby brother, Ransom. I thought it would be fitting to post a carol specifically about another newborn boy, who was also a Ransom for many. For sinners here, the silent Word is pleading. As the time of Advent is soon to come to a close, let us raise the song on high with joy, to celebrate the Babe, the Son of Mary.

Here, my friends, is a real Christmas carol: What Child Is This?




What Child is this Who, laid to rest,
On Mary's lap is sleeping?
Whom angels greet with anthems sweet
While shepherds watch are keeping?
This, this is Christ the King
Whom shepherds guard and angels sing
Haste, haste to bring Him laud
The Babe, the Son of Mary

Why lies He in such mean estate
Where ox and ass are feeding?
Good Christian, fear: for sinners here,
The silent Word is pleading
Nails, spear shall pierce Him through
The cross be borne for me, for you
Hail, hail the Word Made Flesh
The Babe, the Son of Mary

So bring Him incense, gold, and myrrh
Come shepherds, kings, to own Him
The King of Kings salvation brings
Let loving hearts enthrone Him
Raise, raise the song on high
The virgin sings her lullaby
Joy, joy, for Christ is born
The Babe, the Son of Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment