Sunday, December 24, 2017

On the Road Home, Keep Christmas, Lose the Self



I don't know if most of you have heard of John C. Wright, but I've been told he's rather famous. He's a writer on the Right, and is really the one who started the Last Crusade movement, I suppose. (My first post explains what that is, if you're wondering). I read his blog, or website, or whatever it's called. A few days ago, he posted part of an article he wrote for... I believe it's called Dangerous? He also included a link to the rest of the article. Click that link. It is well worth your while.

http://www.scifiwright.com/2017/12/keeping-christmas-losing-self/

I disagree with him on only one point: the three versions of A Christmas Carol that we watch every year are the 1970 musical, the 2009 Disney version, and either Mickey's Christmas Carol or Stingiest Man in Town (both animated). I have never yet seen the versions he mentions. But this is simply our tradition. It has little bearing on matters such as these.

You see, Mr. Wright has written something truly wonderful. Christmas is a time of pictures and images of elsewhere, a time of homesickness for that same elsewhere, a time of selflessness and redemption, a time of mercy and magic and love. All of this is made very clear in Mr. Wright's article. And this article has brought me joy this Christmas, and I wanted you all to know of it too.

"In the place where God was homeless, all men are at home." ~ G. K. Chesterton.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment